Thursday, April 9, 2015
THE HUSHAN GREAT WALL
The Hushan Great Wall, lying on the Yalu River, 20 km from Dandong City, Liaoning Province, and facing North Korea across the river, was built to strengthen the frontier defense in the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644) and was the eastern starting point of the Great Wall.
The Hushan Great Wall was built in 1469. It is located near the Yalu River in Dandong, Liaoning Province, about 7.5km northeast of Dadong, which was a place of great strategic importance. It is the starting point of the Ming Great Wall in the east. The Great Wall was a defense system composed of ramparts, troop stationing castles, beacon towers, horse blocking walls, etc.
For quite a long time there was a misunderstanding that the Great Wall is from Shanhaiguan to Jiayuguan. Shanhaiguan was mistaken for the eastern end of the Great Wall, because the starting point in the east was first fixed in Shanhaiguan when Xu Da began construction in 1381, and the construction of the Liaodong Town Great Wall began in the Cheng Hua Period; most Liaodong GreT Wall were removed before and after the Manchu troops entered Shanhaiguan, during their wars against the Ming troops and their later construction of Liutiaobian, whereas, the other sections to the west of Shanhaiguan was strongly built and well kept; majestic Shanhaiguan and Jiayuguan form into a nice symmetry.
Today the Hushan Great Wall is scarcely left. From 1992 to 1994, Kuandian County government directed the restoration of the rampart of 670m long. From 2000 to 2002, Administrative Bureau of the Yalu River Scenic Spot directed the restoration of the chief rampart of more than 1,2000m. During the two constructions, bridge galleries, hollow watch towers, horse faces, beacon towers and other parts of the Great Wall were also restored.